Because of a World War II bomb in Oberhausen, people had to evacuate the area even in neighboring Duisburg. It was out of a detonator and had to be taken to a safe location to be detonated.
Oberhausen – A 20-hundredweight bomb from the Second World War was controlled and successfully blown up on Thursday evening in Oberhausen under great security precautions. More than 4,000 people in Oberhausen and neighboring Duisburg, who had been evacuated from the danger area within a radius of 1,000 meters from the site of the bomb from 9:00 a.m., were allowed to return to their homes and apartments after the detonation at around 7:30 p.m., the city announced . Around 19,000 other people in both cities – within a radius of 1000 to 2000 meters from the site – were no longer allowed to leave their homes from noon.
It was said that it was no longer possible to defuse the dud due to the lack of a detonator. Since the 2,000-kilogram bomb could not be detonated at the site near the Emscher in the Oberhausen district of Holten without endangering the Emscher dike, it was carefully and slowly transported around 500 meters to a safe location over a period of hours.
There excavators had excavated a crater about eight meters deep. The experts from the explosive ordnance clearance service placed the dud at the lowest point and covered it with several tons of sand and three large water cushions, each 24,000 liters. Nothing more than a big “buff” and splashing sand could be heard during the blast.
This had previously had to be postponed because suddenly several people were illegally staying in the evacuation area, it was said. The police had to intervene. Then finally the all-clear came via loudspeaker announcements and the warning app NINA. dpa