There are stories in which reality is stranger than fiction, and this is one of them. As reported in the newspaper ‘Mirror’, a 22-year-old man has died in China after drinking 1.5 liters of soda in just 10 minutes . It was a very hot day, so to cool off he drank Coca-Cola in large quantities. A few hours later he began to feel unwell, so he went to the hospital.
When he arrived, he had a very high heart rate and shortness of breath, which worried the doctors . After doing a series of tests, they found that he had an excessive accumulation of gas in the intestines from consuming such a large amount of the drink.
Then the gas began to travel into his portal vein, located in his liver . This caused liver ischemia, a condition in which the liver does not get enough oxygen or blood, causing liver cell damage. Everything indicates that this was what ended the life of the young man.
According to Qiang He, author of the case report, the doctors did everything possible to release the gas accumulated in his liver, administering numerous medications to maintain the functions of the rest of the organs, but, unfortunately, they damaged the liver in an irreversible way .
The young man’s health began to deteriorate and within 18 hours of arriving at the hospital, he died .
What really happened to the young man who died from drinking 1.5 liters of soda?
There are mixed opinions on this case. Professor Nathan Davies, a biochemist at University College London , notes that there is no conclusive evidence to say that the soda was the cause of the young man’s death.
He thinks he could have a previous bacterial infection since the drink alone cannot cut off the oxygen supply to the liver. Unlike other blood vessels, the portal vein does not carry oxygen.
According to Davies, bacterial infections cause the accumulation of gas that leaks into the portal vein, giving rise to symptoms very similar to those that the young man had .