He has admitted his guilt: TV chef and entrepreneur Alfons Schuhbeck admits to having smuggled revenue past the tax office.
Munich – The star chef Alfons Schuhbeck, accused of tax evasion, has made an extensive confession before the Munich I District Court.
“I did some things wrong,” he said on Wednesday. “I fooled myself, my friends and acquaintances and also my defense lawyers until the very end because I didn’t want to admit that I had failed entrepreneurially.”
He “repeatedly used the opportunity to reduce sales and thereby took money out of the cash register,” said Schuhbeck. The public prosecutor accuses the 73-year-old of using a computer program to smuggle revenue past the tax office. In total, there are more than 2.3 million euros in taxes that Schuhbeck is said to have evaded between 2009 and 2016.
Schuhbeck confirmed that this tool existed. The statements made by his former IT specialist, who weighed heavily on his boss at the start of the process last week, are “on the whole correct”.
Schuhbeck said he couldn’t explain where all the money went. He “above all plugged financial holes and supported my children in their education”. He wanted to enable them to study, which he was unable to complete himself.
“I didn’t squander the money on a life of luxury (…),” says Schuhbeck. “I don’t play either.” He doesn’t have “other vices” either. “I have no foreign accounts or anything else buried anywhere.” dpa