How does the pumpkin get really evil eyes and a giant mouth? And which tool is best for this? Tips come from experts who know the orange vegetable.
Berlin – It belongs to Halloween like a scary-beautiful ghost costume, bloody-looking cocktails and sacks of sweets: the pumpkin face brand “homemade”. In many families it is part of the ritual that parents and children give the orange pumpkin ball a scary face.
But what about newcomers to the Halloween circus? Or with those whose copy failed last year? No problem – the Federal Association of Fruit and Vegetable Producers’ Organizations (BVEO) gives tips on how best to tackle the hard skin of the pumpkin fruit: dpa
- Large pumpkins are easier to work with than smaller ones. Large pumpkins are a better choice, especially for children, as the flesh is softer and easier to remove.
- Draw on the pumpkin face with or without a template and cut out using the lines. It is advisable to use water-soluble pens so that superfluous lines can be wiped away later.
- If you puncture the pre-drawn lines with a needle, it will be even easier to cut out the flesh afterwards.
- A carpet knife can be used to carve particularly filigree patterns into the pumpkin.
- Field gourds are particularly good for carving. Their pulp is fibrous.
- A pumpkin rarely comes alone: It is best to use pumpkins of different sizes. This creates a particularly beautiful ensemble.
- Clever: simply leave the pumpkin greens on the lid. This gives you a natural grip that you can use to lift the lid.