With House of the Dragon , HBO and Warner Bros are ready to show the world that the phrase “sequels were never good” has passed. And it is that they not only trust that the plot of this new series will conquer millions of people every week, but they have also invested tens of millions of dollars to achieve it.
And although the producers are suspicious of the exact investments of this new bet, little by little figures have been released that allow us to know the magnitude of its economic relevance.
What is House of the Dragon, Game of Thrones prequel, about?
House of the Dragon is inspired by George RR Martin’s novel “Fire and Blood”, which takes place between the years 1135 and 1153 in England, that is, two centuries before the Game of Thrones era. It tells the story of the Targaryen house during the Dance of the Dragons, in which Rhaenyra fights against her half-brother Aegon for the Iron Throne, after the death of their father Viserys I.
How much did House of the Dragon cost?
Here are some investments made by the production companies of this new series, which is committed to becoming one of the most important in the history of streaming.
– Each chapter of has an approximate cost of 20 million dollars (mdd).
– The first season consists of 10 episodes and began on August 21 last.
– The total figure of 200 million dollars is almost double what each episode of Game of Thrones cost per season.
– Although there is no exact figure of the income that the main cast will receive, it is estimated that they will earn between 100,000 and 300,000 dollars per episode. This amount will vary according to the success of the series.
– The marketing campaign is 100 million dollars.
– The main location of the series has been the United Kingdom, although recordings have also been made in the United States, Portugal and Spain.
– The broadcast of its first episode drew nearly 10 million viewers on HBO Max in the United States alone, the largest audience for any new original series that is broadcast via streaming.
– After its first chapter, House of the Dragon was trending on Twitter for the next 14 continuous hours.
– It has been confirmed that there will be a second season.
– This new series is a success for Warner Bros, born from the merger between WarnerMedia and Discovery, when the new American entertainment giant tries to find its place in the midst of what experts call the “streaming war”.
With information from HBO, Variety, Cinemablend and Cosmopolitan