The Witcher is one of Netflix’s biggest hits around the world. Its second season, released a few weeks ago, racked up 142 million hours of viewing in just four days, after the first season of the popular fantasy series racked up 541 million hours in its first 28 days on the grid.
It is closely followed by Spain’s La Casa de Papel , which continued to dominate Netflix’s non-English language most-watched worldwide rankings. But the avalanche of viewers of La Casa de Papel does not overshadow Netflix’s most watched series of all time, The Squid Game .
The last 10 episodes of La Casa de Papel were released in separate halves: the first five episodes aired on September 3 and the last five episodes on December 3 of last year. But Netflix counts viewership for its all-time charts only in the first 28 days of release, and Money Heist technically completed its first 28 days of release in early October. So all the hours that viewers spent watching the last five episodes are not counted in the ranking of the most watched of all time .
In mid-November of last year, Netflix launched a website that publishes weekly charts of its most popular shows and movies, as well as a global ranking of the most watched of all time. The charts are updated weekly and are ranked based on the total number of hours subscribers spent viewing content.
The rankings represent an unprecedented trove of data on what’s popular on Netflix, detailing the most popular titles in the past week, not just globally, but for more than 90 countries.
A ranking of the most viewed of all time is also found on Netflix’s own website, which details the content that has the most hours of viewing in its first 28 days after launch. It is also updated every Tuesday, whenever a program appears on the charts during the previous week.
The most watched series
These are the most watched series in Netflix history :
1. The Squid Game (Season 1): 1.65 billion hours.
2. Bridgerton (Season 1): 625 million hours.
3. The Paper House (part 4): 619 million hours.
4. Stranger Things (season 3): 582 million hours.
5. The Witcher (season 1): 541 million hours.
6. 13 Reasons Why (Season 2): 496 million hours.
7. 13 Reasons Why (Season 1): 476 million hours.
8. Maid : 469 million hours.
9. You (season 3): 468 million hours.
10. You (Season 2): 457 million hours.
The most viewed movies
These are the most viewed movies in Netflix history :
1. Red Notice: 364 million hours.
2. Bird Box: 282 million hours.
3. Extraction: 231 million hours.
4. The Irishman: 215 million hours.
5. The Kissing Booth 2 : 209 million hours.
6. Underground : 205 million hours.
7. Spenser Confidential : 197 million hours.
8. Enola Holmes : 190 million hours.
9. Army of the Dead : 187 million hours.
10. The Old Guard : 186 million hours.