It was a marathon trial: after a day of trial lasting more than ten hours, the Munich District Court sentenced Jérôme Boateng last week for assault. But the case is far from over.
Munich – Former international Jérôme Boateng does not accept his conviction for bodily harm and is taking action against the decision of the Munich District Court. His new lawyer has appealed, said a spokesman for the Munich district court on Thursday at the request of the German press agency.
The public prosecutor’s office and the accessory prosecution also filed an appeal, according to the information. This means that the next instance, the Munich I Regional Court, will have to negotiate the case again.
The district court had sentenced the 33-year-old Boateng last week to pay a fine of 1.8 million euros for assaulting his former girlfriend. It imposed a fine of 60 daily rates of 30,000 euros each.
The judge saw it as proven that Boateng had hit his then partner in the face during a Caribbean vacation in 2018. 30,000 euros is the highest possible daily rate, but Boateng does not have a criminal record. A criminal record is only available from 90 daily rates.
The public prosecutor’s office had demanded a suspended sentence of one and a half years – and a monetary requirement of 1.5 million euros. Boateng’s then defender Kai Walden had demanded an acquittal.
The prosecution accuses Boateng of attacking his ex-partner in July 2018 while on vacation on the Turks and Caicos Islands in the Caribbean. Accordingly, he is said to have beaten her, punched her, bitten her in the head, thrown her on the floor and violently insulted her. The ex-girlfriend described it in a similar way as a co-plaintiff. The allegations were of insult and bodily harm, the public prosecutor’s office even assumed dangerous bodily harm in their closing argument.
The court, on the other hand, only accepted “a punch” in the face. Boateng, who recently signed in Lyon, denied the allegations. He admitted in court that there was an escalation in the Caribbean luxury complex with private pool and staff. He emphasized that he had never beaten his ex-girlfriend.
According to their information, the two have had an “on-off relationship” since 2007, and since 2015 they have been arguing in front of the family court about the right to determine the residence of their children. dpa