XPS stands for XML Paper Specification and corresponds to a file format compatible with the latest versions of Microsoft Windows . The file format is similar to PDF in that the file is saved exactly as it appears on the screen. XPS files cannot be edited by web users, which makes them an ideal format to use for tender and legal specs, but sometimes we may even have a hard time opening one of these files if our operating system is out of date or in fact it does not correspond to Microsoft’s. Therefore, we explain below, how to open an XPS file on Windows and Mac.
So you can open an XPS file on Windows and Mac
Many are the people who are used to receiving and sending files constantly and although the use of PDFs is more than generalized, also in recent years sending files in XPS format has spread, which is quite similar to a PDF since it can be read without the possibility of editing or also compressed to put it in a .zip folder and thus occupy less memory.
The problem is that if you are not used to this file format or have never received it before and if you also have a computer that is already several years old or belongs to Apple, it is possible that when you go to open the file in question you will get an error or it just can’t be opened.
Let’s see then how to open these types of files, both on Windows and on Mac.
Open XPS file in Windows
- In Windows it is quite easy to open an XPS file, although first of all you will have to download and install XPS from Microsoft . In the case that you have Windows Vista or Windows 7.10, it will not be necessary.
- Now you go to the XPS file that you want to open or that you have received and you will only have to “double click” to open it.
Open XPS file on Mac
- Since Windows is the one who created these types of files, you may have more problems opening them on a Mac computer. In fact, the quickest thing is to use an external program like NiXPS.
- Once you have downloaded and installed NiXPS you have to open the “Applications” folder, click on NiXPS and let the program run.
- Now you select the “File” menu and choose the “Open” option.
- Find the XPS file you want to open, double “click” to select it and then click ” Open “. If you can’t find the file, you can try typing “.XPS” in the search box in the upper right corner.