Greek philosopher and mathematician of Milesian origin Thales of Miletus was one of the seven sages and scientists of Greece , and the founder of the Ionian school of physics and philosophy , which is also the first scientific school of Greece. Let’s find out more about Thales of Miletus, what he did and what were his best phrases and reflections.
Thales of Miletus: What did he do and what were his best phrases and reflections?
Thales had no teacher, he owes his education and knowledge only to the teaching in Egypt by priests. He was the first to discover Ursa Minor and advised sailors to use it as a foothold for navigation.
Such would have been born around 625 a. In Miletus in Asia Minor (modern Turkey). Considered one of the seven wise men of antiquity, he is at the same time a mathematician, engineer, philosopher and statesman, but his field of predilection is astronomy.
It would have predicted with great precision the solar eclipse of May 28, 585 . Perhaps it is only a legend, however Thales explains the phenomenon.
During his first trip to Egypt, Thales applied the theorem that today bears his name to measure the height of the great pyramid of Cheops.
Once we have known the most significant in the work and miracle of Thales of Miletus, let us know some of his best reflections and phrases.
- The ultimate pleasure is getting what you crave
- The happiness of the body is based on health; that of understanding, in knowing
- The most difficult thing is to know ourselves; the easiest is to speak ill of others
- Everything is animated and everything is full of gods
- Take for yourself the advice that you give to another
- Beauty does not come from a beautiful body, but from beautiful actions
- Many words never indicate wisdom
- If you are looking for a good solution and cannot find it, consult time, since time is the maximum wisdom
- Hope is the only good common to all men. Those who have lost everything still possess it
- Of all things the oldest is God, because he was not created
- I am grateful to my destiny for three things; for being born human, for being born a man not a woman, for having been born a Hellenic not a barbarian
- Pick only one good thing
- Work increases virtue. He who does not know how to cultivate the arts, work with the hoe
- He will thus break the tongue of charlatans
- Water is the element and principle of things
- Ay Tales! You are not able to see what is happening at your feet and perceive the sky at the same time
- The biggest thing is space, because it encloses everything
- Be your oracle the measure
- Always looking for a chore; When you have it, don’t think about anything other than doing it right
- The most beautiful thing is the world, because it is God’s work
- Use your words carefully; that they do not build a wall between you and those who live with you
- The fastest is understanding, because it runs through everything
- The strongest is the need, because it dominates everything