A holiday tradition at the Omni Grove Park Inn:
The National Gingerbread House Competition is an annual vacation tradition at the Omni Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa in Asheville, North Carolina. The official competition takes place in November, attracting nearly 400 entries each year with more than 3,000 entries from 26 states since 1993. Entries are judged on overall appearance, originality and creativity, difficulty, accuracy, and consistency of theme. Except for the base, the entrances must be constructed of edible materials.
Four categories are judged: categories and ages are subject to change:
- Adult: over 18 years old entering as a single participant or a team
- Adolescents: 13 to 17 years old entering as a single participant or a team
- Youth: 9 to 12 years old who enter as a single participant or a team
- Child: from 5 to 8 years old enter as a single participant or a team
Dates for the 2013 National Gingerbread House Contest:
The dates for the 21st Annual National Gingerbread House Competition and Exhibition are:
- Tickets: Signed and completed entry forms, description and / or photos must be received by fax or mail before 5pm. M.
- Competition – The 2013 Gingerbread House national competition trial will take place on Monday, November 18, 2013.
- Exhibit – The gingerbread houses will be on display from November 20, 2013 to January 2, 2014.
Enjoy the photographs of some of the winning entries:
- Photos from the 2013 Gingerbread House National Contest
- Precious Years of Photos from the National Gingerbread House Competition
See the gingerbread creations:
Following the final judging and awards ceremony, many of the fantastic and unique entries remain on display at the Omni Grove Park Inn Resort for hotel guests and the public until early January. Non-resort guests can view exhibits Sunday through Thursday excluding holidays only. There is no charge to view the competition; however, visitors driving to the complex will be charged a parking fee, which starts at $ 10 per car.
Note: Vehicles larger than eight passenger personal vehicles must make parking reservations with the resort’s security department and group viewing dates are subject to availability.
For several years, it has been a tradition to transport the winning gingerbread house and a selection of other tickets to various venues for publicity purposes, often during the seven days before and after Christmas. If you expect to see the winning masterpiece during your visit, be sure to check the advertising calendar to avoid disappointment.
Throughout the season, several themed holiday packages are offered including a Gingerbread Holiday Package as well as Thanksgiving, Christmas and New Years Eve packages.
For additional information on entering the competition, viewing the Gingerbread House screen, or booking resort packages, visit the Omni Grove Park Inn Resort and Spa website.