The Mercedes team is still in suspense waiting for Lewis Hamilton to come out of the bubble where he entered the day he lost his eighth world title in Abu Dhabi and in which he remains isolated from the rest of the world. Not even his boss, Toto Wolff , knows if the English pilot is considering the possibility of withdrawal and limits himself to explaining his silence by saying that he is still too shocked by what happened more than two weeks ago at the Yas Marina circuit.
“We all waver in our emotions, especially Lewis . He was world champion until the last lap and they took everything from him in a second. Of course you lose faith because you can’t understand what just happened. The silence is there, of course, because he too is at a loss for words, ” Wolff told the German portal Motorsport-total.com .
Since the fateful outcome in the last race of the year, where Max Verstappen snatched glory from him in the final meters, Hamilton has not spoken publicly or posted on his active social media again. His only communications since then have been private, like the one he had with Wolff himself in the days after Abu Dhabi , when Mercedes was considering whether to file an appeal.
“Lewis was in the office with me and everyone else involved, and we were also in constant contact during those days. On Wednesday afternoon we again made video calls to make a decision. I told him to enjoy his appointment as a Knight of the British Empire and to try to save those beautiful moments with him. I think that’s what he did ”, revealed the Austrian.
Hamilton was recognized with the title of ‘Sir’ on December 15 in his only public appearance since the World Cup ended. Bernie Ecclestone has raised all the alarms by ensuring that the driver is going to retire and the president of F1, Stefano Domenicalli , has been quick to calm the rumors, showing himself convinced that he will continue to compete. Meanwhile, the main protagonist continues without abandoning his silence.