Nearly 200 homes were damaged in the September 19 earthquake, which had its epicenter in Michoacán. Earthquakes are just one of the types of natural phenomena that can destroy people’s heritage. The morning of this
For this reason, Infonavit grants its borrowers damage insurance that supports them financially in the event that their houses are damaged. Here are the details to take advantage of this benefit.
In order to protect workers’ assets, there is damage insurance against natural disasters granted by the Institute of the National Workers’ Housing Fund (Infonavit).
What is Infonavit damage insurance?
The Infonavit Damage Insurance is valid throughout the life of the financing and protects the assets of the creditors in the event of total or partial damage to their home, as long as the payments are up to date or a regularization agreement is signed.
What does it cover and what does it not?
The risks covered by the insurance are: fire, earthquake, volcanic eruption, displacement of land -as long as it is sudden and unforeseen-, flood, explosion, hurricane, cyclone, hail or snow, stormy winds, objects fallen from airplanes and fall of trees.
If any of these eventualities causes damage to the home, the borrowers have up to two years after the date of the accident to request the application of the Damage Insurance, so that within the same period the home is visited by the office of adjusters.
Between January and August 2022 alone, Infonavit has compensated 31,236 borrowers for a total amount of approximately 624 million pesos.
What does the Infonavit Damage Insurance not cover?
In the case of Cofinavit, that is, in cases where the mortgages were co-financed with a bank, Damage Insurance only applies to the part of the credit granted by Infonavit.
How to apply and collect
To make the coverage valid, those interested must go to their nearest Infonavit Service Center (Cesi) and submit the following documentation:
- Copy of valid official identification.
- Housing location sketch.
- Photographs of the most representative damage caused by the incident.
- Statement of Credit Infonavit.
- Landline and mobile contact number.
- Estimated repair budget, which must include cost and amount of material and labor.
- Original of the record drawn up before an agent of the Public Ministry, civil protection or firefighters. This document must indicate the exact date of the claim.
- Formal claim letter signed by the accredited person, detailing what happened and indicating the exact date of the damage.
- Damage report, which can be downloaded at infonavit.org.mx
Attention, if the incident was massive and affected several homes, those accredited must:
- Submit your credit number.
- Verify that your address is the same as the one registered in ALS.
- Leave two contact phone numbers.
For more information, you can go to this .