In order to offer the baby adequate care from the moment it is born, we must start by preparing the basket that we take to the hospital with everything it may need .
What to consider when preparing the basket
It is important to take into account the time of year in which we will give birth, since the clothes that the baby needs may be different. However, newborns still do not perfectly regulate body temperature, so in the first lay we must always cover their arms with long sleeves, the feet with socks or gaiters and the head with a cotton hat, whatever the time of year that be.
When preparing the baby’s layette for the hospital we also have to take into account that even though we are in the hospital in summer there will be a cooling system so the temperature will not be excessive inside the room.
The baby clothes that you take to the hospital must be previously washed with mild soap and without fabric softener. The first clothes should be light and soft, preferably cotton or very soft wool. It is best to avoid synthetic fabrics that could irritate the delicate skin of the baby.
As for clothes with ties, zippers, hoods and velcro, it is better to avoid it to prevent the baby from hurting himself. Instead, he prefers snap fasteners and small buttons.
Essential garments for the baby’s layette
- Bodysuits : bodysuits are essential essentials that you will need to always have on hand in all sizes. Depending on the time of year your baby is born, you will have to choose sleeveless, short-sleeved or long-sleeved. She has three or four in her hospital bag in case they get stained. They should have a wide opening at the neck or side or front buttoning, so that it is easier to dress the baby.
- Socks and booties : those tiny little feet will need to be warm with cotton socks that depending on the time of year may be more or less warm. Choose the softest ones and make sure that the elastics are not too tight.
- Pajamas or Full Sets : Includes a pair of 100% natural cotton clothing sets that are comfortable and breathable, such as rompers, pajamas, or bodysuit and pant sets. Keep in mind that they have to be easy to put on and take off so as not to disturb the baby when changing it. They must have openings in the neck, and hooks at the crotch.
- Hats and mittens : they are not essential, but there are babies who scratch their faces and parents prefer to put mittens on them, as well as the hat to keep their heads warm.
- Muslins : bibs are not yet necessary, but cotton muslins are, an essential basic for spit-ups.
Bloomsbury Mill – High Quality Muslin – 100% Pure Organic Cotton – Star, Herringbone and Polka Dot Print – Blue and White – Set of 6 – 70 x 70cm
Baby care and grooming
- Newborn diapers , size 0 (although there can be a lot of difference between the size of different babies). There are some brands of cloth diapers that also offer diapers for newborns, although we have to assess the issue of cleanliness if we are in the hospital it will not be easy, so we can start trying them once at home.
Dodot Baby Sensitive Diapers Size 1 (2-5 kg), 276 Diapers + Aqua Pure Wipes, 18 Packs (18×48), Maximum Skin Protection by Dodot
- Wet wipes for sensitive skin. We need them to clean the stool, especially the difficult meconium, the first stool of the newborn, which is expelled in several stools during the first 48 hours of the baby’s life.
- Protective cream for the diaper area , one of those that suffers the most from humidity and the tendency to irritation.
Eryplast Lutsine E45 – Water Paste Baby Diaper Cream – 2x75g
- Changing table, towel and toiletry bag : includes a towel for your baby’s bath and a toiletry bag with basic items such as a brush, nail clippers and gauze for the umbilical cord.
Lictin Baby Care Set – 15 Pieces Baby Grooming Kit with Ear Spoon with LED Hair Brush and Comb, Nail Cutter Finger Toothbrush for Travel and Daily Use (Blue)
To get out of the hospital
- A special outfit chosen with care for your baby to wear on the day you are discharged from the hospital.
- A jacket to keep him warm or a lullaby : if the baby is born on cold days, you will need a jacket to get him out of the hospital.
What not to bring in the baby’s basket
- Pacifier : it is not recommended until breastfeeding is established: the AEP indicates that it will be from the month when it does not carry risks.
- Shoes : they are not necessary as long as the baby is not walking.
- Cologne : you can put it on their clothes, but it is not convenient to put cologne directly on the newborn’s skin.
- Talcum powder : talcum powder is not recommended for changing a baby’s diaper.
- Bath gel: the hospital is supposed to have the most suitable for babies. Remember that, once at home, in a newborn it is advisable to avoid any synthetic substance with high foaming power, so we will wash the baby with a soap that has a pH of 4-4.5.
In Babies and more | What to bring to the hospital: mom’s bag when you go to give birth