LivingTravelSweden visa and passport requirements

Sweden visa and passport requirements

When it comes to planning your international holidays in Sweden, the first thing to ensure is that you have the correct documents to legally enter the country, including passports and tourist visas.

All citizens outside the European Union are required to have a passport to fly in and out of Sweden. However, for the most part, citizens of countries in Asia, Africa and South America must present a tourist visit when they stay less than three months, but those of the United States, Japan, Australia and Canada do not need a visa for the entry

If you are a relative of a Swedish citizen and planning a stay of more than 90 days, you will need to apply for a Schengen visitor residence permit, which will extend your trip another 90 days to bring your total time allowed in these countries to six months or 180 days.

Visas in Schengen countries

The Schengen is a collective of countries that adopted the 2009 EU regulation establishing a “Community Visa Code (Visa Code)” and whose member states follow the same standard for the processing of international guests.

For travelers, this means that they no longer have to apply for individual tourist visas for each country and can instead go through many in one trip. The Schengen member countries are Austria, Belgium, the Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, the Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Slovakia , Slovenia, Spain, Sweden and Switzerland.

Some of these Schengen countries have different rules and stipulations in addition to the Visa Code. Swedish immigration laws, in particular, have rules that make it difficult to obtain visas for visits of more than 90 days, unless you are related to a person with Swedish citizenship, have a job offer from a Swedish company, or are planning study at a Swedish college or university.

How to get a Swedish visa

With the help of the Swedish Diplomatic Missions Abroad, travelers hoping to stay more than 90 days can apply for a visitor residence permit, student visa or business visa through the VFS Global offices in New York, Chicago. , San Francisco, Houston and Washington, DC or at the Swedish Embassy in Washington, DC

It is important to note that visitor residence visas are only available to spouses and children of EU and EEA citizens, who must provide their spouse or parent’s passport and original birth or marriage certificate when applying for this type of visa.

Starting in January 2018, regardless of the type of visa you apply for, you will need to submit a set of biometric data (fingerprints) to one of the five VFS Global offices in the United States for Sweden to process your application directly. Once this has been processed, your application will be returned in approximately 14 days, but you must wait up to two months before your visa expires to allow for error and possible appeal for a rejected application.

"I Am Zlatan": Big ego, big cinema?

Zlatan Ibrahimovic comes from one of Sweden's most notorious problem areas. Nevertheless, the exceptional kicker made it into the largest football arenas in Europe.

Violence at Swedish school: two women dead

The headmaster speaks of "deadly violence", the police initially of an allegedly serious crime - a short time later the sad certainty follows: two women died in an attack in Malmö.

Two women killed in school attack in Sweden

Two women employed at a grammar school have died in a violent act at their school in Malmö. An 18-year-old student is suspected of murder.

Two injured in Swedish school incident

The headmaster speaks of "deadly violence", the police of a suspected serious crime: What exactly happened in the high school in Malmö in southern Sweden is still unclear.

Crown Princess Victoria denies separation rumours

It's not the Swedish Crown Princess and her husband's habit to comment on rumours. But in the case of their allegedly imminent separation, they made an exception.