A very typical sweet from Bilbao is precisely the baked rice cake . It is a traditional sweet that is not lacking in any of the pastry shops in the Basque Country. Of course, it is said that the recipe is not original from the north of Spain, but that the sailors, on their many trips to the Philippines, brought this recipe so typical of the islands. At first, this sweet recipe was made with rice flour, a great option for celiacs since it is a type of flour that does not contain gluten.
However, over the years, rice flour was changed to wheat flour , despite the fact that its traditional name has been maintained, that is, despite the fact that it is a baked rice cake , it does not contain even a hint of this ingredient.
Do you want to know what is the preparation of the recipe and the ingredients you need to prepare the baked rice cake? Well, do not miss it below. You’ll love it!
Baked rice cake ingredients
The recipe can also be made with a puff pastry base, but this one is simpler and is spectacular. In addition, we are going to use rice flour for the preparation to make it even more traditional.
- The first step in preparing this traditional recipe will be to preheat the oven to 180 degrees and prepare a mold lined with greaseproof paper before preparing the baked rice cake.
- In a saucepan add the milk together with the teaspoon of vanilla and the lemon peel. This will help it flavor and taste much more spectacular.
- When the milk is boiling, that is, when it is smoking, turn off the heat and add the butter. Stir it so that there are no lumps .
- Sift the flour with the help of a strainer just after adding the butter. Reserve
- Start beating the eggs and add the sugar, continue beating and now add a tablespoon of flour. Keep beating and add another tablespoon of flour until we have it all incorporated and mixed. In this way we make sure that no lumps come out.
- Then we remove the lemon peel from the saucepan and add the content to the flour and eggs.
- Mix all the ingredients with the mixer until you get a homogeneous cream.
- Pour the rice cake dough into the mold that we have prepared with greaseproof or baking paper.
- Bake at 180 degrees for 35 minutes or until golden brown.
Once golden, the cake is ready. Do you see how simple it is to prepare a typical Bilbao baked rice cake? We recommend that you give it a try. You’ll love it!