The sweet and sour sauce is originally from China, although today this name refers to different types of sauces . In many parts of this Asian country, sauces are made using the two basic flavors (sour and sweet) and are used mainly for dipping meats, not for cooking with them – as is done in Western kitchens. Among the Chinese, sweet and sour sauce is very popular to add to dishes with meat, shrimp or goose. The best thing about this sauce is that it can be made at home quickly and easily.
Of course there is a traditional Cantonese dish, sweet and sour pork, where the meat is cooked in a wok and with this sauce before serving. When the sauces are prepared at home, they are much better and we know what they contain. It is always very useful to have this sauce already prepared, because it can give a different touch to any dish, and children love it.
How to prepare the original sweet and sour sauce:
- In a saucepan, put the soy sauce, orange juice, sugar, ketchup and vinegar over medium heat .
- Stir well to integrate everything and make sure that the liquid does not stick to the bottom .
- Dilute the cornstarch in the water , and when it is smooth and the sauce begins to boil, add to the saucepan .
- Stir very well for a few minutes, until you see that it begins to thicken.
- If the sauce gets too thick , add a splash of water, stir and see the texture.
- If, on the other hand, it is very liquid , leave it on the fire until it reaches the desired texture .
- Rectify the salt and sugar or vinegar : add a little more soy, or more sugar and vinegar, according to taste .
- Let cool to room temperature and store in a glass jar with a tight lid.
If you make spring rolls, this sauce is perfect at room temperature. You can keep it in the fridge, which will last you for a few days in perfect condition. A good idea is to add a teaspoon of Worcestershire sauce when you make it, or slice an onion very finely and sauté it in the saucepan before adding the other ingredients.